Wednesday, September 26, 2012

We believe....

John Wentworth
Why do I find it true? It answered fundamental questions that I had as a youth which then carried over into young adulthood. Such questions regarding the Trinity (God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Ghost), prophets, marriage, priesthood and why in heaven's name did the Lord stop talking to people after the time of Christ. Simple questions that were not being adequately answered by the faith of my youth. I won't elaborate, at this time, how my questions were answered by co-workers and then close friends.

What I would like to do is share, in a small series, what the first prophet of this era, Joseph Smith, Jr., shared in March of 1842. Shortly before this Joseph Smith was asked by the editor of the Chicago Democrat, John Wentworth, to give a brief history of the founding and rise of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The reply that Joseph sent back to Mr. Wentworth has come to be known by Latter-Day Saints as the "Wentworth Letter."

At the very end of the letter he shared the tenets of our faith with Mr. Wentworth. These thirteen points are now known by Latter-Day Saints as the "The Articles of Faith" and are part of our basic scriptures. I would like to share these on this blog over the course of the next week or so. I will try to add some explanatory notes as I see necessary. More to the point I will add notes as to how they answered some of the basic questions that I had as I grew up.

Tomorrow, the Trinity...

jsf


No comments:

Post a Comment