Friday, September 28, 2012

We believe... Article 1

"We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost."

This answers one of the fundamental questions that I had when I was growing up. The concept of  "3 in 1" befuddled me (it's not very often that one can use the word 'befuddled' during the course of the day).

The Old Testament teaches somewhat on the concept of oneness as Adam speaks in Chapter 2 of Genesis about "...leav(ing) his  father and his mother, and shall cleave cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." (v 24) Although Adam and Eve were two distinct persons they were to become 'one flesh'- united.

Jesus in Gethsemane
The New Testament contains numerous scriptures in which the concept of 'one' or unity is taught. An excellent example can be found in the seventeenth chapter of John. As background: this is the night that Jesus is in the Garden of Gethsemane where He prays to Heavenly Father regarding those who have served with Him. If He and Heavenly Father were literally 'one' would there be a need for Him to pray to Himself? The Savior speaks of this oneness (unity) in verse 11:
     "And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world;
      and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name      
      those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are 
      one." (emphasis mine)

To me this implies unity.

What other items point to distinct, separate beings? Again in the New Testament one can read about the baptism of the Savior. The Gospel of Matthew records the event in Matthew 3 verses 16 and 17:
      "And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and lo, the heavens were
       opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
       And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased."

When a simple man as I reads something like this in the scriptures it appears plain and easy to understand. So as I grew up it wasn't surprising that I was confused when I read those scriptures, and others teaching the same things, and then being taught during religious instruction that there was only one person but somehow all three were within one entity.

As I have read about Jesus's church, following His death, I found it interesting that what was taught was three distinct beings or entities. It wasn't until after the apostles' deaths did this specific doctrine start to change and become affected by the pressure of outside forces.

Next... a light shining in darkness...

jsf




No comments:

Post a Comment