Friday, September 21, 2012

Traveling, Food, and Daughters

Travel can be an exciting adventure. You are never sure who you will sit by and where the topic of conversation will go...if there is conversation. As would have it on my journey back from Salt Lake I needed to travel east before I headed west. Thus the first leg of my trip was to the motor city- Detroit.

Kasi in her kitchen
I had the opportunity to sit next to a couple who had just spent several days traveling around Yellowstone and other areas of interest. They were traveling back home which was now Toronto. I was seated next to the woman who had a an accent of some type of which I was not familiar with. I asked her where she was originally from. She told me that she was originally from Russia.


Bri in Kasi's kitchen
Somehow the topic of conversation got to cooking. I have no idea how that came about, but I know that it did. The woman mentioned that her daughter liked to hear where her and her husband went to eat on their vacations. She also mentioned that her daughter didn't like to cook but did love to eat and experience new things. This brought up the topic of daughters and how my daughters, actually, are pretty good cooks. This is surprising both to Marcia and I as for the most part as they were growing up the kitchen wasn't a favorite stomping ground with the exception of Bri when it came to baking. Bri was our baker and when it came to experimenting and the like, Brig was more of an experimenter than the girls were. What a surprise when I was in Salt Lake to see how well our girls do when it comes to the culinary arts! Kasi made a
cake that was delicious and Bri's baking skills are still very good!! It is easy to say that the 10 pounds that I had lost just prior to heading back to the states was quickly put back on before I came back here to the Philippines. The immigration and customs people didn't look twice at my passport and then back at me as they did when I left the Philippines last week. Thank heavens my passport picture and me look alike again....jsf

1 comment: