Wednesday, October 17, 2012

We believe...Article 5

"We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof."

Does man call man to tend to the affairs of God? Or does God have input into how He would like things done here on earth? Before I list some examples from the scriptures I would like to make some simple observations that I have noticed from my studies of the scriptures and from some thoughts that I have had over the years.

John the Baptist
One thought that passed through my younger mind was regarding the requirement that some religions place on those who may have a desire to serve in their respected religion. In many faiths their is an education requirement necessary for them to become a minister, pastor, or priest. In some cases the requirement is beyond a bachelor's degree and towards some type of graduate degree. As I grew up that was something that particularly bothered me especially as I read the New Testament. In the New Testament I read about Peter, James, Andrew and John and found out that their occupation was that of fishermen (see Matthew 4). Moses, who grew up in the shadows of Pharaoh, wasn't called from the influences of wealth and prestige. He was called at a much older age while working for his father-in-law as a shepherd (see Exodus 3). David, the youngest of several sons and also a shepherd, wasn't chosen because of his skills with a sling. It is found in the Old Testament that David was actually chosen before his confrontation with Goliath (see 1 Samuel 16).

In the case of Peter, Andrew, James and John the Savior directly called them to serve. The Savior, who Paul refers to as being the "Apostle and High Priest of our profession" (Hebrews 3:1) ordained them as Apostles. David was anointed by the prophet Samuel. Moses had direct contact with the Lord on more than one mountain.

These were humble men who the Lord chose to establish His Church. It is the same today. In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints young men, beginning at 12, are interviewed, and if found worthy, are ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. This is the same Priesthood that John the Baptist held and it was by his hands, as a resurrected man, who restored this Priesthood to Joseph Smith, Jr., and Oliver Cowdery:

     "Upon you my fellow servants, in the name of the Messiah I confer the Priesthood of Aaron,
     which holds the keys of the ministering of angels, and of the gospel of repentance, and of
     baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; and this shall never be taken from the earth,
     until the sons of Levi do offer again an offering unto the Lord in righteousness."
     (Doctrine and Covenants 13)

This Priesthood is sacred. It is through the higher priesthood, the Melchizedek Priesthood, where the Gift of the Holy Ghost is administered. In the book of Acts a man by the name of Simon saw Peter and John exercise this Priesthood in administering the Gift of the Holy Ghost. He then tried to offer them money for the privilege to do the same. Peter admonished him and through the Holy Ghost was able to discern this man's heart and intent (see Acts 8).

It is a privilege to have this Priesthood. It is such a privilege that I have had for 30 some years. With this Priesthood I have had the privilege of baptizing my children and giving them the Gift of the Holy Ghost. It is through this Priesthood that I was able to ordain my sons to the Priesthood. It is through this Priesthood that I have been able to bless my children and wife when sick, prior to the beginning of school years, and to give them comfort as a father. It is a privilege worth having and keeping...

jsf

1 comment:

  1. How grateful am I for a father who strives each day to live so that the words of the Lord can flow through him? So very grateful.

    ReplyDelete