Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Acronyms...

Acronyms in life are supposed to make life easy. Coming from the US (an acronym) I am used to seeing in the news, on the net, or in newspapers (large pieces of paper with printed words on it with occasional pictures interspersed here and there) common acronyms such as CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), NFL (National Football League) or NIMBY (Not in My Back Yard). Over the years my brain has absorbed these common acronyms and they have become part of my vernacular.

One of the things that I most noticed when I arrived in the Philippines is the common usage of acronyms. As I read the newspapers (see explanation above) or scan the net I am inundated with acronyms. I can understand the need for being concise when writing for an article but in my American opinion (I think that is a phrase I shall keep) acronyms go a little overboard here. Let me give you all the examples from one section of yesterday's paper so I don't appear crazy-

GMA- Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (former President)
MMC- Makati Medical Center
PAGASA- Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration
JBC- Judicial and Bar Council
RH- Reproductive Health Bill
SC- Supreme Court
EU- European Union
SMBA- Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority
FIND- Families of Victims of Involuntary Disappearance
DAR- Department of Agrarian Reform
CJ- Chief Justice
AMBALA- Alyansa ng mga Manggagawang Bukid sa Asyenda Luisita
DOTC- Department of Transportation and Communications
OT- Overtime
CIQ- Customs, immigration, and quarantine
BAR- Board of Airline Representatives
NAIA- Ninoy Aquino International Airport
BOC- ????
QRF- Quick Response Funds
NGP- National Greening Program
DENR- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
EDC- Energy Development Corporation
PAWB- Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau
LGU- Local Government Units
MMDA- Metropolitan Manila Development Authority
MMC- Metro Manila Council
DPWH- Department of Public Works and Highways
CIDA- Canadian International Development Agency
IFRC- International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
WFP- United Nations Word Food Programme
AusAID- Australian Agency for International Development
DSWD- Department of Social Welfare and Develpment
Pagcor- Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation
NDRRMC- National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council
NROC- National Resource Operations Center
NGOs- non-government organizations
POs- people's organizations
CDRRMC- City Disaster Risk Reduction Management Council
NHMFC-  National Home Mortgage Finance Corporation
HUDCC- Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council
VVMC- Veterans Memorial Medical Center

I lied. The above acronyms weren't taken from one section of the paper. They were actually taken from the first seven pages of section one of The Philippine Star. After reviewing the above list it is no wonder that I now have listed on my favorites an acronym dictionary...

jsf (acronym for jeffery scott french)


No comments:

Post a Comment