Sunday, December 30, 2012

Year in review- "Food- (Soapbox Warning!)



Seafood counter at Robinson's Market






Goat outside on street next to San Pablo Mission Home
This was originally posted on September 3, 2012. My scientist son informed me that my science was somewhat off kilter. I informed him that as my tongue was firmly in my cheek as I wrote it that of course it was a bit skewed- but I did warn people at the beginning of the post.!


"I suppose at some time it is necessary to eat food. Some of us prefer to eat more often than others. Others have a tough time eating. Anyone who may be reading or watching the media in the United States might get the idea that there is a crisis of 'obesity' occurring. Just as an observational note- although the Philippines is not a wealthy country it does have its share of people who are of a 'stouter' nature.

With all the excess weight that is accumulating does that mean that we are 'weighing' the earth down more? and possibly slowing it down? Although it is not a theory that I advocate I do believe it is one aspect of global warming- if you agree with that theory that has not been addressed. Sure people pick the obvious and say that gas emissions, coal emissions, refrigerants and the like are the cause of old mother earth warming up. Any one can say that- in fact according to the media it's a done deal global warming is not a theory but a fact. I have a tendency not to quite believe what SOME scientists are theorizing and lean towards the facts that the earth is old and there are natural events and cycles that occur. I believe that man shows his arrogant and prideful side when he thinks that by his living his lifestyle the earth will be dramatically changed in a detrimental way. I remember the 1970s when global cooling was the criers voice and the headlines in news magazines.
Squid 

I did warn all readers that I was on a soap box. If you have gotten this far good for you because now comes the interesting and bold new theory that I am proposing. Is it possible that due to the 'obesity' epidemic that is occurring around the world that the earth is actually slowing down because of the excess weight that people have? What happens when people get over weight? They slow down- everyone has seen this occur. What happens when you put overweight people into cars? The cars slow down. It is a natural law (somewhere). Since I have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt regarding my 'global slowing' theory I will need to demonstrate how it dovetails and is the cause for our planets temperature rise. Naturally, naturally, when things slow down, especially when exposed to sun light, they heat up faster. If an ice cube is exposed for 1 second in the sun it doesn't melt much. If you were  to leave that same ice cube out for 5 minutes it will no longer be an ice cube but, instead, it will be a puddle. Because the earth is slowing down because of our 'obesity' epidemic our exposure to the sun is much longer and thus the earth is temporarily heating up. Temporarily? Of course. Once people recognize that overeating is causing overheating they will naturally, naturally, want to lose weight, close McDonalds, banish soft drinks and junk food from schools, ban transfats from New York City, and demonize movie popcorn around the world (wait- don't they already do that?).

Remember I did issue a soap box warning at the top of the post....."

jsf


1 comment:

  1. Papa- another problem with the theory- the actual earth mass is not really changing based on how much people eat. It is just going from outside the body to inside. If we were raining fat globules in the form of ice cream and lollipops (which usually have no fat at all) from outside our atmosphere, then we might have an argument for a heavier, slower earth.

    ReplyDelete